At Hua Moon Women’s Health, we believe mothers and midwives are partners in promoting a healthy outcome for mother and baby. Together we carefully monitor the progress of your pregnancy and engage in appropriate education regarding your birthing options.
Midwives Model of Care
The Midwives Model of Care is based upon the principles of Evidence-Based Practice and shared decision making and includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle;
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support;
- Minimizing technological interventions; and
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention.
- Providing women with
evidence-basedrationale behind common pregnancy and newborn standards of care.
As midwives, Sharon and Colleen devote time and energy into building personal relationships with every patient. At every step of your pregnancy, our staff will be your partners to discuss options, hopes, fears and birthing preferences. Prenatal appointments include discussions on prenatal nutrition, exercise, vitamins, herbs, supplements, and other beneficial measures you can take to ensure your optimal health.
For expectant mothers, Hua Moon Women’s Health recommends regular prenatal care appointments including:
- One prenatal visit every four weeks until you are 28 weeks pregnant
- One prenatal visit every two weeks until you are 36 weeks. If you plan to give birth at the hospital, the remainder of your prenatal care will be transferred to your provider at the hospital at this time.
- After 36 weeks one prenatal visit every week until birth for Hua Moon home birth patients.
Prenatal appointments may include:
- Discuss birthing preferences, concerns
- Review family and medical history;
- Assessment of risk factors for home birth
- Vital health screening including; weight, blood pressure, urinalysis, temperature, pulse, nutrition
- Assessment of fetal growth activity, position
- Performance of or referral for laboratory tests as needed including pap smear or other vaginal cultures, laboratory testing of antibodies, blood type, STI status, CBC, non-invasive prenatal testing, other genetic screenings, ultrasound and screening for Gestational Diabetes
Hua Moon Women’s Health offers a 2.5 hour prenatal/birthing class appropriate for all families approximately every 6 weeks or as needed. Please call 808-631-2682 for schedule.